Tuesday, April 27, 2010

30 days to comment on 60

Actually, you have less than 30 days.

If you've been harmed by a judge who violated your right to a speedy trial by violating the Arizona Constitution's 60-day Rule, you have until May 20 to comment to the Arizona Supreme Court about it. I've already done the hard work for you, Petitioning the Court to make it mandatory that any 60-day Rule violations caught by audit be automatically reported to the Commission on Judicial Conduct. If you agree with my Petition before the court, read their Forum Rules, get a password and write in! Even if you haven't been harmed but think this is a good idea, you can write in.

I've written before, urging you to act, but as of today, no one has posted a reply in the forum.

I did get a response from the State Bar to one of my Petitions regarding our 2nd Amendment right. (They're against it.) So it looks like I must be on the right track with that!

Look, I can't do this all by myself and we get the government we deserve. It's hard to know how the Court will rule on my Petition, but it seems that the more people who affirm it, the better. As it stands now, they have little reason to believe anyone has been harmed by tardy rulings. They often cite their audits saying something like "There's 99% compliance with self-certification."

But as we've discovered in the former judge hinson matter, self-certification does not catch a judge who lies on his certification. (By definition.) And, as we also discovered, many delinquent cases fall through the cracks during the Superior Court clerk's quarterly audit and are not reported. No one knows about your case better than you. So if you've been harmed, you need to tell the Justices so they have the data.

Now, I've talked to some of you and I know you're fearful of retribution. You still have a case pending in the system and you're afraid that if you make noise, you'll get hammered. (Don't I know it!)

Okay, so here are two options for you. You can send me a comment, telling me your story. If I have time, I will try to write to the Court relaying your story but keeping your name out of it. But I have to reply to the State Bar (per above) myself first...

Or, you could write to the Chairman of the House and/or Senate Judiciary Committee, asking them to chime in on your behalf. (Explain you are fearful of retribution by a judge and ask them to keep your name anonymous.)

I've primed the pump for you already. I've already written Representative Adam Driggs, who is Chairman of the House Judiciary Committee and I've also written Senator Chuck Gray, Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, asking them to affirm my Petition. I'll try to post the letters if I can find the time.

Unfortunately, neither has responded in the forum. But if you call their staff and mention the Petition, perhaps they will affirm the Petition. To his credit, Senator Gray has written me before, expressing his interest in the judge hinson matter. So he may respond to you.

May 20 is only three weeks away.

No comments: