Saturday, May 15, 2010

The End is Near!

No, I'm not talking about the year 2012 and the Mayan calendar.

Aside: Although God, in the Bible, does talk about the end of the world. But even if the final countdown started tomorrow, we would have 7 + 1000 years (1007 years) before everything is destroyed by fire and a new heaven and new earth are formed. The earthquakes seem to have started. If so, famines are next.

And I'm not talking about the fact that you have only a few days left if you want to affirm my Petition before the Arizona Supreme Court for more oversight of judges who violate YOUR constitutional right to a speedy trial. (Deadline is May 20 to comment! Already those in the system have filed two comments to oppose.)

No, this is more of a personal "housekeeping" thing. I'm talking about the end of an era here on this blog. And eventually, the end of this blog. Perhaps sooner rather than later (depending on Mr. Goddard... who, by the way, is running for governor). I'm sure the end of this blog will make some people happy.

See, ever since I discovered that judge hinson had misappropriated funds from the State by falsifying his monthly salary certifications, I have been seeking justice. Equal justice. For all.

You can see that from my first letter to Mr. Terry Goddard, the State Attorney General, which I hand delivered to him in January 2009, shortly after I filed the complaint of judicial misconduct against judge hinson, but before any finding of fact by the Commission.

Okay, time for the funny story about the hand delivered letter.

I used to attend the Arizona Peace Officer Standards & Training Board meetings. That was after Office Dan Lovelace shot and killed Dawn Rae Nelson at a Walgreen's in Chandler. A month before, all but one member of the POST, made up mostly of law enforcement officers (much like the Commission on Judicial Conduct is made up of judges), refused to revoke Lovelace's peace officer certification. (Unlike the Commission, the POST is fairly good about revoking certifications. They goofed on this one.)

I came to the next meeting to speak during the "Call to the Public," expressing my dismay at the Board's decision and to encourage the one lone voice who spoke up for truth (Dr. Michael Polakowski.) and wanted to revoke Lovelace. Perhaps I identified with the professor.

Anyway, the State AG is automatically a member of the POST Board. That has been Terry Goddard.

When I first started attending the meetings, he used to send a substitute. But later on, he would sometimes show up himself. He never voted or spoke, so I'm not sure why he came but anyway...

After I filed the complaint against judge hinson, I thought, "How can I file a criminal complaint with Mr. Goddard. Send him a letter? Naw... that would never get his attention." Then the Spirit put an idea in my head. I would try to get a complaint to him at the POST meeting.

So I came to the meeting a little early one day and put a packet by his name tag at the large dais. I was disappointed when the meeting started because he was a no show.

But about ten minutes into the meeting, he came! I saw him sit down and look at the packet. I could almost hear him think, "What the h*** is this?" He opened up the envelope and started reading the complaint in my previous post. I could see his eyes widen as he read. Probably made for a less boring meeting. It seemed like he sneaked peaks at the whole thing.

If there's a first letter to Mr. Goddard, you can be sure there's a second. Which is why I say we're coming to the end here.

Despite the fact that Mr. Goddard personally read my criminal complaint against judge hinson, I got the formal "blow off" letter. Which I'll publish next.

To be fair, the Commission hadn't finished its investigation yet, although the Commission isn't a law enforcement agency. There was enough probable cause for Mr. Goddard to start his own investigation if he had wanted. And I was short on criminal allegations, citing only felony theft. (Although prosecutors are particular adept at trumping up charges.) But, as I learned from this January's Horizon program on PBS, judges are gods to Terry Goddard so it wouldn't have mattered if I had given him a literal smoking gun. He has expressed his belief that judges can do no wrong and you should never, ever ever prosecute a judge.

Actually, it wasn't a total blow off letter. I did get some direction about pursuing criminal charges against judge hinson. Which, over the course of a year, I followed. With predictable, but at the same time, surprising results. (Credit to Sheila Polk who did the right thing. Ironically, Andrew Thomas' office did not. Hozzat for a teaser? I'll try to publish those as loose ends later.)

The bottom line is that no one to date has prosecuted judge hinson for his numerous felonies.

As the year went on, I would Providentially come across stories in Arizona about others who had committed crimes similar to judge hinson. Crimes like "engaging in fraudulent schemes," a felony. Crimes like "false swearing." Also a felony.

But because they weren't a judge, they were prosecuted. Like, here's the story of a police officer who "was dishonest and misused state property." He falsified his time sheet to collect his salary. Remind you of anyone?

The police officer was fired. Judge hinson was not. Even though the officer cited mitigating circumstances, as did judge hinson. Unlike judge hinson, the officer broke down and cried in remorse when caught.

So now that I've exhausted the lower levels, I recently made one last try at the highest level I can go. On Friday, I delivered a revised criminal complaint against former judge hinson to Mr. Goddard's office.

I had been saving all sorts of papers in a file for this final, last occasion. Now that the complaint has been sent, this matter is once again in Mr. Goddard's hands. (Who, by the way, is running for Governor.)

I've fought the good fight. I've done all that I can do.

As I close the file on this matter, and literally put the papers away, I expect this is an end to an era. I expect this is the beginning of the end for this particular blog.

No comments: