Thursday, February 25, 2010

Can I have two scoops please?

I thought I'd make these predictions before anyone else. (No links for now. I'll try to revisit this post to fact check it and put links in soon. For now, take it as a "rough draft" and with a grain of salt.)

I predict Sheila Polk, long time Yavapai County Prosecutor, will run for Arizona Attorney General this year. She seems to be making a lot of noise and posturing for something. Now that Maricopa County Prosecutor Andrew Thomas was recently rebuked by Judge Campbell for trying to hold long time Maricopa County Supervisor Mary Rose Wilcox accountable, the judge's "ruling" may quench Mr. Thomas' ambitions to run for AG also. (I just heard on the radio the other day that he is rumored to run for AG.)

Polk's recent statements in the Phoenix newspaper (as linked in a previous post) will make her look good to some after Judge Campbell's political "ruling." (I haven't read the ruling yet, but I heard excerpts on the news. Sounds political to me.) Remember that Mr. Thomas has also gone after Judge Donahoe... a member of the Judiciary in Maricopa County. So Judge Campbell has motive to be political.

Aside: One wonders why Judge Campbell didn't follow his own ruling and didn't forward this matter to another jurisdiction outside Phoenix?

And speaking of Judge Campbell's political decision, that coupled with what I've witnessed over the past few years, I predict the breakdown of American society very soon.

I'm no expert on societal breakdown (I still hope to read the "Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" someday), but from what I've observed, when a society breaks down internally (as opposed to externally - being conquered by war), one of the last triggers is a breakdown of law. According to an article in the Wall Street Journal, the military coup in Chile was due to "an open and willful contempt of judicial decisions [then by the Executive]" which threatened an "imminent breakdown of legality." The Chilean equivalent of our House of Representatives declared a "grave breakdown of the legal and constitutional order" and placed the responsibility for restoring "legal paths" with the military.

I don't see our Judiciary or our Legislative making these calls. The people will. (And the lousy economy will only accelerate the breakdown.)

I don't think our military will take over the United States. We're too large, they're too small and spread out too thin, and we're too armed. (At least in some States.) But given what I perceive as "an open and willful contempt of judicial decisions" by the Judiciary itself, I believe we're headed for anarchy.

Since anarchy essentially means "no law," maybe we're closer than we know? I mean, if you can't bring a judge to justice ...

Just a rough draft of some thoughts for now. Let's see if I'm right about Polk and her ambitions. If so, hold your breath and hope I'm wrong about my second prediction.

No comments: